Jan Egerton & Don Smitley Mesothelioma Scholarship
Mesothelioma Help is pleased to announce the “Jan Egerton and Don Smitley Mesothelioma Scholarship. the essence of this scholarship is for the remembrance of Jan Egerton & Don Smitley whom has got alot to do about mesothelioma.
About Jan Egerton & Don Smitley [Mesothelioma Life Story]
Jan Egerton battled mesothelioma for over 10 years and during that time she dedicated her life to raising awareness of the dangers of asbestos and to championing the researchers to continue to focus on finding a cure and new treatments for the cancer.
Jan’s husband said, “I know Jan would be delighted to have this accolade, and I would be honoured for you to use Jan’s name. This is a legacy of which she would be proud.
Don Smitley spent his days enjoying time with his family, his dog, Charley, and playing in his bluegrass band, The Dunbar Boys.
No one ever heard Don complain or wonder, “Why me?” while he fought mesothelioma. But everyone that knew him would say that faith and a positive attitude carried him through each day.
Don’s daughter, Jennifer Gelsick, chronicled her family’s journey during mesothelioma, and now discusses life after losing a loved one to mesothelioma through her blog.
“We are so honored to have Dad’s name on the scholarship. It’s such a perfect way to remember and honor him,” said Jennifer. Jennifer will is one of the essay judges.
Grant | Award Value
The winning student will receive benefit of the following
1st Prize – $2,500
2nd Prize – $1,250
3rd Prize – $750
4th Prize – $500
Each winner of this essay contest will be awarded a check from the law firm of Belluck & Fox, LLP.
These funds must be used to pay for college tuition ONLY.
One (1) essay per student is allowed.
Area of Studies
The scholarship is available to students in colleges and universities throughout the United States.
Our goal is to help the educational efforts of students while raising awareness of mesothelioma, provide information about its prognosis and the dangers of being exposed to asbestos.
Mesothelioma is a disease that affects men and women – both young and old.
Place of Study
In the United States of America.
Eligibility and Criteria
This essay contest is open to undergraduate and graduate students who are 18-years-old or older and are currently enrolled in a college or university located within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. U.S. territories are excluded.
Previous first place winners are not eligible for participation.
Only the United States citizens are invited to apply.
- Share your personal story dealing with asbestos disease or cancer. Talk about how it affected your life and how/whether it impacted your education/career choice.
- What do you hope to do with the education you are receiving to help cancer patients?
- Why is raising awareness and educating the public about the dangers of asbestos and the impact of mesothelioma on a family important?
- What would you say to someone who is fighting mesothelioma or to a family member who recently lost a loved one to the disease?
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Essay submissions open: Mar. 7, 2018
- Essay submissions close: Mar. 25, 2018
- Essay judging complete: Apr. 18, 2018
- Top 4 finalists notified: Apr. 21, 2018
- Winners announced: May 16, 2018